Mind games

July 2, 2009

This morning I’ve spent some time reading other weight loss blogs. One thing that struck me was the mind games we play on ourselves while on this journey to become the better “us”. It’s kind of like a mental ass-kicking and not in a good way. Not in a way that serves the purpose to motivate or bring about positive change.
I noticed that in the blogs where the person lists their weekly weigh-ins, it will say “only lost a pound” or whatever that number is that week. We minimize the progress like one pound doesn’t count for anything. On the flip side of the coin, when they report a weight gain of a pound or 2, they report it like it’s this massive gain—like some bolder just rolled off a mountain top and crushed every ounce of progress they’ve made. Why do we do that to ourselves? A pound is a pound. We have to take the good with the bad. I’m not saying that I’m not guilty of this very same thing because I totally am. I think it goes along with my all-or-nothing mentality that I’ve practiced for so long.
I’m trying to reprogram my thinking because one pound may not seem like anything in the grand scheme of trying to lose 100+ pounds, but I have to start somewhere. I’ll take the one pound. Eventually those one pounds will make 10 and eventually 100. I want that immediate result of looking cute & feeling great NOW, but I know I won’t get it at the exact moment I want it. That is what’s going to be so rewarding when I finally reach my goal…knowing that I worked for every single pound that I’ve lost.
I read a quote on a blog that said:

You don’t have to be great to start, but to be great, you have to start.

I don’t recall who posted that, if it was his/her own words or a quote from someone else, but seriously…WOW. That is so true. Thank you to whoever posted that and to whoever wrote it.
I hold myself to some standard that I would never hold anyone else to; I’ve not been a good friend to myself. One thing for me that is different this time is the fact that I’m not losing weight for some upcoming event. I’m not trying to squeeze into a smaller dress for some party or to look half decent on some vacation. Although…I do have a gorgeous wedding dress that wouldn’t fit me if I were getting married tomorrow. Thank God for no wedding date. Anyway, back on subject, I do have an ideal time line in which I want to lose all this weight, but it’s not a do or die if I don’t make it by that date. I’m going to be 40 on my next birthday; I think that would be a ridiculously fabulous gift to give myself. I may not lose all 140 by then, but any progress in that direction is better than where I am at this very moment. And that, I will take.
5 Responses
  1. jo Says:

    I know what you're saying. I try to be optomistic, but still when you have two .5 losses in a row, it stinks--especially when you haven't cheated. BUT as you say, it all adds up. It's not a race.

    I do try to celebrate every loss even though in the back of my mind I admit I get a bit whiney when it's low.

    This is a great post on positive thinking. =)


  2. Wow! this is a great post. I totaly agree! I know I beat myself up all the time!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Guilty as charged, as my blog post today demonstrates. LOL We ARE way way too hard on ourselves. I think it's part of the reason we are in the position we are in. But this is a journey, and a journey comes in small steps, with some meandering along the way. We WILL get there; I'm confident of it! And nice to "meet" you! :D


  4. Danielle Says:

    Yup. We all need to take our own advice. I tell everyone to be gentle with themselves, and yet I completely kick my own ass at any opportunity. Good thoughts.


  5. Shy Girl Says:

    Hi Melanie,

    New here. From thru Thick & thin. Anyways, just wanted to say that I totally agree. I've been trying to reset my mind that ONE pound is damn good b.c. it's all baby steps. Thanks for the reminder!


Post a Comment